Thursday, January 18, 2007

Recommended Reading

Yah...like academic, grad student bloggers don't already have enough in their lives to read! Sheesh. Sometimes I think the web and all its Web2.0-ness glory is just one big conspiracy to keep productivity down and keep all those little students out there from ever graduating!!

That said...I'm gonna be distracted, and distracting, anyway. Ha. So there.

H/T to Elle for the links to the new Carnival of Gradual Progress. Now there's one I can get behind.
Hmm...speaking of 'behind' that seems to be the perfect descriptor for the state of my work.

Another potentially relevant one is Carnival of Education, now in its 102nd...ummm...what do ya call it? "format", "iteration", "round" ??? For a doc student in info thingies I'm not as up on this as I perhaps should be. H/T to Education Wonks for the link.

And a great post commenting on Friedman's bestselling "World Is Flat" book (which Golden Child gave to everyone this year with admonishment to read it 'now'. Right...I'll just slip that into my bedtime reading pile, or perhaps a little light travel reading?!!) and about some recent data that may dispute a few major points of Friedman. Hmm. Things to think about.

Oooooh! 'digital media alert!' 'beware of history'
Great new digital collection project called "African American Women in Iowa" from U. of Iowa. Have to come back and explore further. Found it at Research Buzz.

And can someone please tell me how (and why) taking our shoes off, or standing on ridiculuous and malfunctioning scanners, in the name of "improved security" helps us at airports, when it's apparently this easy for a kid to sneak onto not one, but TWO, flights--without a ticket or a guardian??? Hellooooo??!! I think the TSA has it all wrong. Boneheads...

ok, that's more than enough distractions. Oops, look at the time! Darn, another evening of 'hoping to get some work done' wasted....

2 comments:

elle said...

Darn, another evening of 'hoping to get some work done' wasted....

are you channeling me?

InfoScholar said...

I see you play that game too, eh?!

sometimes i wonder if all of us grad students aren't drinking from the same metaphorical kool-aid...