Thursday, January 25, 2007

Non-required Reading

Formerly known as 'Recommended Reading'.
Ok, that's stretching things a bit since I only had one other post with that title and thus that harldy constitutes a theme or a recuring element. And, especially given the subject of the first link, maybe this semi-regular posting should be called "More damn ways to procrastinate, or only fool yourself into thinking you're working."
The other alternate title should be something along the lines of "Stuff you're interested in but don't bother reading when you find it and think you're going to come back to, but hardly ever do, cause you can't remember you posted it in the first place."

All of which begs the question as to why I'm doing this in the first place?? No, not 'why am I in grad school...again... in the first place' ... that's an ongoing issue for me, my advisor and my therapist. See the last post and the discussion on "imposter syndrome". But for now...'been there, done that' on that argument. No, while that's a great ongoing discussion and frequent blogging topic (ok, practically the ONLY ongoing blog topic I have. sheesh. THAT oughta tell me something...), it is not what I meant. I was talking about why, if it's so damn hard for grad students to stay focused and keep plugging away, do so many of us find the need to post reminders to ourselves or to the Web ether, about things to read, things to distract ourselves... giant, neon-glowing-red tangents.

I don't know.
But here they are for the week. Or for the day. Whatever...

Procrastinaton Central -- semi-academic look at procrastination. Including a survey to measure your procrastination. Wow...that's taking it to a whole new abusrd level.


How to create the perfect password , a compound password.
[Link from LIS News ]


From Salon, a review of Barry Glassner book on our culture's obsession with food. The Gospel of Food
"Glassner ... takes on nearly every sacred cow of contemporary food culture. High-end restaurant reviewers, eaters seeking "authentic" ethnic eateries, organic converts, local agriculture proponents, and fast food's detractors all receive a methodical interrogation of the accuracy of their claims... examines nearly every issue populating the food landscape "Gospel" shines brightest when he turns his gaze to two that are frequently absent from it: poverty and class... laundry list of inaccurate spins should not be taken as a humorless diatribe. "Gospel" is also sprinkled with a passionate eater's enthusiasm for cuisines both street and haute."

We have lots of 'foodie' related books at my house and something tells me this one will eventually make its way in. I'd lay bets on how long it takes to appear on DH's Amazon wish list...


Procrasdistractions-- amusing new word coined by The Academic Coach
"You finally sit down to write and suddenly you remember bills unpaid, dogs unfed, thank you notes unwritten, phone calls unmade, dishes dirty. And all of these tasks feel surprisingly pressing. I call these thoughts that charge into your mind, blasting away all thoughts of your task at hand, “procrasdistractions.”


Lessons for dealing with stress -- new article from Time .Including lesson 1: Remember to breathe
Damn. I always have such problems with that one. No wonder I'm not getting anything done...lying around here getting blue lips and bugged out eyes because I was so stressed out I forgot to do that elemental thing.

No, seriously, it's about meditative or focused breathing, a good thing-- and other tips to combat stress. Can always use those right? Even if we've heard 'em before.

Great post about digital libraries, teaching history, visual literacy, images in teaching. (must send this link to Mambo!!) Recommendations for additional reading here, current research and more. This is a personal must-read [all that crap up at the top about how I often forget to finish reading this stuff...well, I'm gonna have to combat it big time on this one!] From some conference called ELI...oh wait... you nincompoop, that's "Educause Learning Initiative". Geez...I'm a moron at times. Of course it has good, relevant stuff!

And finally...
Category of "Who the hell knew?!"
There is a Blog Carnival for the Info Sciences and here . Well d'uh, of course there is. I mean there's a Carnival for everything isn't there??!!

There is this cool interactive map on Frappr (ok, a web bling I was only vaguely aware of, and a 'procrasdistraction' for another day...) of 'blogging librarians'. Hmmm, not such a nerdy looking group-- no librarian stereotypes there!


And this one is just an interesting approach to using a blog to help you along in your dissertation work-- this person uses each post to talk about an article read, giving summaries, etc. I'm only guessing at how that gets used later, for the lit review or something? But an interesting thought. But not necessarily interesting reading...which opens up a whole new point of discussion for another time!

No comments: