Monday, November 13, 2006

InformationWeek Weblog: How Trustworthy Is The Web?

InformationWeek Weblog: How Trustworthy Is The Web?: "When I did a reality check last Friday on some Wikipedia data my daughter had dug up about an obscure early French explorer, I found something interesting. Curious to see how Wikipedia information jibed with that from other sites, I did a--what else?--Google search, only to find that most other sites had simply copied the Wikipedia entry. Word for word, in many cases. In short: even if eventually corrected, erroneous information put into Wikipedia had already been propagated throughout the Web. "

Trust. Big issue for me, particularly in my research. I'm also a strong proponent of Information Literacy development and work implementing it at every level of our education system. Big part of Info Lit is about teaching critical thinking skills, including evaluation of ALL types of resources. Naturally, this is a BIG concern for everything web-based. Scary world out there. Research coming out just points out the obvious-- people trust easily--probably too easily. Still assuming that if it's on the web, and if from some bigtime name site, it must be true, or accurate.
Oh boy....lot of work to do...

No comments: