Saturday, August 19, 2006

"So long, and thanks for the Ph.D!"

A graduate school survival guide: "So long, and thanks for the Ph.D!"

Obviously I'm still on the same theme here (i'd say it's like a 'broken record' but that dates me a bit, since i must be the last of my generation to remember what the f--k a 'record' actually is! some kid looked at my mother-in-law funny tonight when she mentioned the word 'record'--he's never seen one, never heard one. oh boy...).

But this is a very well written piece, and doesn't focus too much on his CS field, and isn't even that dated--amazing given that this guy earned his doctorate over a decade ago in a very techie area. So certain truisms still apply, and the field is close to mine--sorta-- and one of his committee members is someone whose work I've studied a bit and is quite revered by many in my program/department. And more hints, sage advice and good stories about grad school can't hurt. Hell, I need all the help I can get in surviving grad school!

The truest part is the one that echoes what Astro told me the other day and which has precipitated this whole introspective rant and questionably productive blogging and linking.
"You don't have to be a genius to do well in graduate school. You must be reasonably intelligent, but after a certain point, I think other traits become more important in determining success."

Damn.
True. But still a bit bothersome.
See, intelligence is one thing I apparently have in spades, and one my more marketable skills. Likewise, the one I am most proud of being recognized for. At the same time that is all a bit silly since how intelligent I am (or not!) is/was mostly a chance determination of genetics-- luck of the draw, good parental genes, good parental options for schooling and nurturing. None of it particularly of my own damn doing, or control. And yet, it remains the skill or trait I most want to use, achieve 'fame' for, etc.
And realistically, in the long run, that isn't a good enough reason for anything, let alone for pursuing a damn doctorate and a teaching career.
It also doesn't seem to be modest or humble in any way, and yet I'm mostly both-- never boastful, and more down on myself really than anything. So why this pride in my IQ? Because I'm not really thrilled, happy or proud of any other of my skills, traits or hallmarks?

So I have to start finding ways to make other skills work, to balance things out, use more than mere little braincells if I really, truly want to get that PhD at the end of the rainbow.

No comments: