Saturday, May 20, 2006

You may not be the person you think you are

You may not be the person you think you are: "We all have a picture in our head of who we are and what we are capable of. What if that picture is wrong? What if your story of yourself is missing key facts and evidence? "


Wow.
Wow. As one of the comments said, the hallmark of a great writer is that you feel they are telling "your story". So much of this incredibly well written post resonated so deeply with me.
At many times in my life I think I too listened to my own 'stories' (and to the ones parroted back to me) and believed them-- in all their flaws and limitations. Interestingly it is also with the unconditional support of a spouse, and in finding the library profession that I have come to be comfortable in my own skin, so to speak. [ well, I'm trying at least-- there are good days and bad days in that regard!] And at about the same point in life as well.
While I don't, or didn't, have the debilitating fear of public speaking (somehow the 'child actor' in me survived the tidal wave of self-doubt), so much of the rest rang true. This may be one of the few times I HAVE to make a public comment on a widely read blog-- to thank Meredith for laying bare this private moment and giving so many the courage to do the same. Kudos to her, good luck to all who take her heed.

No comments: