Wednesday, May 24, 2006

News flash...I was wrong

Ok...quick post cause I'm already up way too damn late...again.

Anyway, I think it only fair to 'apologize' for trashing Majesty in anticipation of the appearance as sub for my stats course on Monday night. Granted, I should've figured that ANYONE other than Prof. Lame-duck could have taught a better class.
It's not that he's evil, or mean, or harsh---he's actually quite nice-- just clueless and not a very good prof, certainly not of stats. Bad methods. Feel sorry really. Except that I'm the one getting screwed cause now I really don't know how to do all those complex statistical analyses that I will one day have cause to use in my own research. How on earth do I write a research proposal and defend it when I still have no clue as to the best approach for gathering data, and what to do with it after I've got it?? Oh, so not good....

Anyway, I had dreaded Majesty's appearance in stats, cause as I said, what could be worse than my two least favorite things colliding at once? As I told Astro tonite, it wasn't like I was expecting a 'Reece's cup' kind of moment (oh, dear-- is anyone else old enough to remember the introduction of that candy, and the brilliant ad campaign-- 'you got chocolate in my peanut butter...well you got peanut butter on my chocolate'-- hmmm, must go find that).

Surprise! I got more out of that class with Majesty teaching than any other stats class of the last 6 months. Clear, easy to follow, great notes, direct correlations to real work in our field, good examples. All of it. It made all of it make sense. So at least I had the decency to tell M that I appreciated the class, 'it really helped and all'. Went over a bit like a lead balloon--but that's not my problem.

So I can't believe it, but I'd rather have M teach me stats.... it's a little late for that. But wonder if i can get the notes M has for the rest of the stats concepts that M obviously taught at one point?? Hmmmm, could score suck-up points (sorely needed at this stage) and figure out stats-- a true win-win.

No comments: